This week has been a long series of disappointments as Dominance War V was repeatedly delayed until it finally entered it's now indefinite "coming soon" phase. At first I wasn't too surprised, seeing as delays are something of a tradition for this notorious competition, but after a week of delays and my spring break rapidly disappearing, I became more and more frustrated. This morning I discovered that Polycount will be breaking away from the Dominance War V competition and will be hosting their own character and environment modeling challenge! I am excited by the idea, though I am somewhat disappointed that DWV fell through as it did. There was something special about the multi-formboard relationship of DW that I will miss. However, I've had enough of the ambiguious start date and simply want to COMPETE! If Polycount indeed gets their challenge together in a timely fashion (as I hope they will) I will eagerly join with a passion. Whatever happens with either competition, I hope that both get kicked off soon, because I've been psyching myself up for this for a long time and want to get started!
On another note, while I've been waiting I've been working on getting some of my old projects wrapped up/improved. I started work on Iris's textures and have made pretty good progress, though I'm having some trouble with hair planes. Anyhoo, here's a WIP shot for your viewing pleasure:
I've finally been able to put some of my time toward my passion of creating characters; so here's an update on Iris. I'm currently trying to polish up everything I have on my website/portfolio to a more professional level. When I look at what is up there right now, I cringe at how much it looks like student work. I know that I can reach much higher levels, it is simply a matter of finding the time. I should be updating my website/portfolio in the next couple weeks, so be sure to check back!
So, I mentioned that I've been working at YETi all summer on a Unity game project called Battle Scars. The game is a sci-fi tower defense combined with a rail shooter... which should be really cool to see when coders get a full fledged demo working. Unfortunately for the game, our programmers have been uber busy with other projects and haven't been able to put much time into Battle Scars. Anyhow, enough jabbering. Here are the units that I created over the summer:
Kodiak Platform This huge vehicle was created at 1434 tris. The design is one of my original concepts. Textures originally created at 2048, but would be crushed to probably 512 for the final game. We'd like to animate the turret since it will be so big, but depending on how many extra draw calls we end up with, we may not be able to. :(
Kodiak Heavy Truck Created with 886 tris and 2048 textures. The design is one of my original concepts. These bad boys will have a couple different types of weapons available to be mounted on back, but all will have grenade launchers (the cylindrical things on the side.)
F.L.A.K. Command Truck Created with 923 tris and 2048 textures. The concept was inspired by an old WW2 truck, though ours is considerably larger than the original would have been. The base model was created by Wesley Mayle (another intern at YETi). I tweaked the model, added the details/accessories, and painted the textures.
F.L.A.K. Knat Created in 806 tris an with 2048 textures. As far as gameplay goes, the Knat is pretty much cannon fodder for the player to destroy. There will be about a billion of them and they'll be about 3 pixels each...
That aside, I also spent considerable time this weekend installing Windows XP and Boot Camp on my iMac. I think I've finally got it running properly, though I'm still missing the two most crucial software packages (being Softimage and ZBrush.) With any luck I'll have both of those by this Saturday.
That concludes my weekly update. I hope you all have a great week! See you next time.