FragFest, (A 24 hour competition in the Digital Animation & Game Design program) had the theme "Goblinoid," and categories for level design and 3D modeling. I was on a team with Wesley Mayle and Luke Garnsey to create a level and I also submitted the 3D assets that I created as an individual 3D modeling entry. This year went a lot better than last semester. I was just "in the headspace" more, or something. Everything seemed to go pretty smoothly (more or less.) I had a blast working with Wesley and Luke, and it was really sweet to get to see my work running real time in the Unity engine. (We were allowed to use either Unity or Unreal III.)
Our level design team (click here to see our team's progress blog) didn't get placed in the top 3, however, I came in 1st place in the 3D modeling category with the assets I created for our map.
So, here's what I spent most of my time working on:
Yeah, I know it's been a while since I last posted. I haven't forgotten, I've just been crazy busy working on ZBrush homework. Oddly enough, I don't even plan on posting that work just yet since I'd like to do some more work to it before I make it public. Today I'm showing you my first visual effects project. This project was... different. It wasn't hard, once I understood what I was trying to do, but it was so unlike anything I've done before that I had trouble getting into it. Enough rambling about naught. The objective was to get a 3D object into some live video footage. Thankfully I didn't have to shoot the footage or do the tracking on it. Most of what I had to do involved matching lighting and tweaking colors to make the digital footage match the live footage. Here's what I got:
Overall, I found this project to be gratifying. It's really great to see something I've done pull together like this and actually see it in an actual environment.
Here's a sneak-peek at my next ZBrush project. I've been trying my hand at designing a character from the ground up (the right way). Here are some quick silhouettes.
So, I finally got around to getting Speck animated. It's quick, rough, but it's an animation. Though I found this project rather frustrating when it came to the rigging and animation, it has been enormously satisfying to actually see Speck come to life.
On another note... My life has been incredibly busy recently, and yet somehow I haven't been finishing a ton of projects or anything. Unfortunately. I feel like I have a time leech attached to me somewhere and I can't figure out where.
Hopefully I'll find myself becoming more productive very soon, so keep checking back.
Without further ado, here is an animated Speck!
Well, not quite... Here's my beauty shot.
And here (because I spent like 2 weeks rigging him) is a pic of Speck's wireframe and the custom rig I created for him.
O.K. Now we get to the animation. Enjoy!
That aside, I also spent considerable time this weekend installing Windows XP and Boot Camp on my iMac. I think I've finally got it running properly, though I'm still missing the two most crucial software packages (being Softimage and ZBrush.) With any luck I'll have both of those by this Saturday.
That concludes my weekly update. I hope you all have a great week! See you next time.