I created this piece to experiment with making a stylized character, and had a lot of fun doing it. My goal was to translate the classic Wonder Woman comic style look into 3D.
I had the opportunity to work with YETi CGI, Mattel, and National Geographic to create five dinosaurs for the View-Master Dinosaur Experience Pack. These were a lot of fun to build! Take a look at my portfolio for more in depth breakdowns of these characters. Enjoy!
Hey all, check out the final presentation and breakdown I've put together of the Elk Ranger! Rendered in with Marmoset Toolbar 2.
This character had the longest development time of any personal project I've worked on, but I learned SO MUCH doing it. (And I got engaged... then married during that time as well)
After months of using pretty much all of my free time on this project I've finally finished my character called "Maltair!" Here is a turntable of him, captured out of the Unity engine. I used the Unity engine as a learning experience to see how much I could pull off with something that is kind of considered an "indy" tool. I wanted to familiarize myself with the engine and see how pretty I could make a character look. At some point I may take him into Marmoset or Unreal, but I want to show what I pulled off in Unity. Modelsheets, wireframes, etc... coming soon. (When I have time)
It's finally over. My Junior year at Ferris has come to a close and the game studio class project: Maximum Chaos has come to an end. My role in this class was as Lead Character artist, which basically meant that I got to funnel all the art from the character artists to the technical artists for animation. Additionally I did a little art direction, though for the most part this wasn't necessary because my team had some pretty talented people on it. All in all I had a great time working with these guys. Between the four of us we managed to create 8 humanoid type characters and an additional 6 various enemy units. During the last month of crunch time the character team also took on responsibility for texturing one of the four game levels, and in my opinion it looked the coolest in the game. The last couple weeks of class were pretty crazy as nearly everyone ended up jumping into Unity to help the programmers place the enemies and collision boxes, etc... The class concluded with a playable build of the game that had fully implemented all 14 units with animations, 4 fully developed levels, and the ability to run 4-player co-op. All the humanoid characters were playable and had 3 unique weapons each. Not too shabby for one semester and 40 random students throwing everything together at the last minute!
Aside from Maximum Chaos art I also have almost a semester's worth of Life Drawing art to post, but you'll have to wait on that because it has been rainy this week and it looks best when I photograph it outside. For now, take a gander at the characters (and vehicle) I did for Maximum Chaos:
I wish I had more time to spend on the Iris character, however classes, work, and now Thanksgiving are getting in the way of me doing the stuff I really want to do. Ah well, that's life isn't it? I've pretty much finished sculpting the civillian variation of Iris. However, due to time constraints I doubt that I'll be able to finish the other outfit before the end of the semester, which is unfortunate. I'm continuing to learn a lot about the whole "game character pipeline." Something I think I need to work out in my technique is at what point I take a hard body object into ZBrush. For example, I brought her shoes in way too early on this sculpt and ended up wasting a lot of time when I could have simply modled them in Modo from the get go then added stitching after the fact. Same thing goes for the belt. Now I know.
Current challenges: I'm also trying to find a good technique for creating a bandage like wrapping... what I've tried to date has felt flat and "muddy." (I'm not getting the definition I want.) I'm also not sure how I want to go about creating the belt loops. I spent quite some time trying to get a mesh extract to work inside of ZBrush, but the results felt sloppy. I'll probably take a stab at it in Modo.
So, I mentioned that I've been working at YETi all summer on a Unity game project called Battle Scars. The game is a sci-fi tower defense combined with a rail shooter... which should be really cool to see when coders get a full fledged demo working. Unfortunately for the game, our programmers have been uber busy with other projects and haven't been able to put much time into Battle Scars. Anyhow, enough jabbering. Here are the units that I created over the summer:
Kodiak Platform This huge vehicle was created at 1434 tris. The design is one of my original concepts. Textures originally created at 2048, but would be crushed to probably 512 for the final game. We'd like to animate the turret since it will be so big, but depending on how many extra draw calls we end up with, we may not be able to. :(
Kodiak Heavy Truck Created with 886 tris and 2048 textures. The design is one of my original concepts. These bad boys will have a couple different types of weapons available to be mounted on back, but all will have grenade launchers (the cylindrical things on the side.)
F.L.A.K. Command Truck Created with 923 tris and 2048 textures. The concept was inspired by an old WW2 truck, though ours is considerably larger than the original would have been. The base model was created by Wesley Mayle (another intern at YETi). I tweaked the model, added the details/accessories, and painted the textures.
F.L.A.K. Knat Created in 806 tris an with 2048 textures. As far as gameplay goes, the Knat is pretty much cannon fodder for the player to destroy. There will be about a billion of them and they'll be about 3 pixels each...