One of my goals for 2017 is to be sketching every day. I started in trying to build the habit in December! Here are some of my results.
2016 has been a challenging year for me in many ways, but especially as a freelancer and job-hunting. However, I’ve been pushed to grow a lot as a person and an artist and I think I’m stronger/wiser for it. Thank you all for your support!
I’m excited for 2017 - to create new artwork, to become less afraid of failure and be willing to learn from it, for new opportunities, and to meet more friends who are passionate about art!
I hope you all have a great new year!
I had the opportunity to work with YETi CGI, Mattel, and National Geographic to create five dinosaurs for the View-Master Dinosaur Experience Pack. These were a lot of fun to build! Take a look at my portfolio for more in depth breakdowns of these characters. Enjoy!
Hey all, check out the final presentation and breakdown I've put together of the Elk Ranger! Rendered in with Marmoset Toolbar 2.
This character had the longest development time of any personal project I've worked on, but I learned SO MUCH doing it. (And I got engaged... then married during that time as well)
Hey all, I've finally gone and composited the screen recordings I've captured so far of my creation process for my elk ranger character. I've broken it into three 16ish minute videos and plan to continue to add further chapters as I make progress. After a crazy busy last couple months I'm scheduling a lot more time to work on personal projects again, so expect more cool things soon!
Hey all, I decided I'd take a stab at the latest Polycount challenge, Petrol/Blood. For my entry I'll be creating a massive fantastical elk and its rider. It should be fun! Check out my Polycount thread for more frequent updates.
My track record for actually completing and entering these 3D challenges isn't so hot. However, working as an independent freelancer for the past six months has taught me a ton about time tracking and proper scheduling. Recently I've been visually blocking out every hour each day of every week. Being a visual person, I've found this to be INCREDIBLY helpful to actually see the hours in the day and know how much time I need to allocate working on project X, Y, and Z so that I don't have a big pile of unfinished business at the end of the day, with no time to get it done. No promises that I'll complete this challenge, but so far it has been going much better than usual.
It sure is good to be on this side of winter! Being able to go running in shorts and a tee-shirt is absurdly wonderful. (We got a total of nearly 8.5 feet of snow where I live this year!) All that to say I'm excited to spend some time outdoors and for the personal projects I have planned for this summer. I'm not quite ready to share what they are yet, but check back soon for more updates!
Also, to fill the gap of the much missed CGHUB I've gone ahead and jumped on the Art Station bandwagon. Check out my art stuffs here.
I've been working on this sculpt of Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock on and off for the last couple weeks in my free-time. Enjoy!
For those of you who are interested, here is the time-lapse of my process.
It's about time for me to stop being lazy and write up a recap on the Motoko Kusanagi sculpt I did from Ghost in the Shell: Arise. The project started out simply as a lunch-break ZBrush doodle and evolved into a sculpture that I felt was worth showing in my portfolio (and now worth writing about). Before I blather on any further I'd like to give a shout out to a couple artists who's work has helped inspire me in a big way. First and foremost Joh-Troy Nickel (AKA Hazardous) and all of his lovely ladies are always a huge inspiration to me whenever I take on a female character model. Also Chris Whitaker (AKA Funkybunnies) who's youtube channel has played a big part in my evolving sculpting technique - especially in the face/mouth area. Finally, check out zbro's fantastic sculpting channel on youtube that has tons of invaluable content. Once I had decided that Motoko was going beyond the "lunchtime scribble" stage, I set a couple goals that I wanted to achieve. For the most part I feel I succeeded. 1 - Create a sculpture that captures a dynamic pose. 2 - Execute a 3d translation of an anime face. 3 - Build a model that could be 3D printed. Unfortunately I have not yet had the opportunity to actually have the model printed. However, keeping these goals in the back of my mind was a big help in keeping me focused on an achievable goal for the character while pushing myself to try and learn some new things. Not only did I further my understanding of form and anatomy (including anime anatomy) but I was able to pick up some new ZBrush techniques and tools as well. Speaking of things I learned to do on this project, here is a download link for the matcap I created for the presentation of the final sculpt.
Once I had completed the sculpt, polished it, rendered it, did post work and finally posted it online for the world to see, I received a message from the incredible and Christophe Desse on ZBrushcentral inquiring if I would be open to a collaboration where he would render my Motoko sculpture using Octane. Of course I happily agreed, sent him my source zbrush files, and about a week or two later, got to see his final results of the render. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out! All in all, it was a fun experience and highlights one of my favorite things about the vibrant online game artist community. That is, the opportunity we have to connect as artists with other people all across the world and work together without ever being in the same physical location is so cool. Yay, the internet wins again.