*MENTORSHIP IS NOW CLOSED.
For the summer of 2018 I'll be offering a 15 week 3D character art mentorship where I will develop a character, talk about my process, and work with mentees to develop a character model for their portfolio. I'll be here to help you level up your skills, and provide industry relevant feedback. If you're passionate about making awesome game art and want to challenge yourself to grow as an artist, then this is for you! This is a free mentorship and anyone is welcome to apply.
*Sadly, there are a limited number of seats, and application does not guarantee a place.
My name is Zane and I'm a 3D Character Artist and Art Director based in Grand Rapids, MI, who has been a professional game artist for 7 years. I have been working as a full-time freelancer since 2013. Some of my clients include Disney Interactive, Zynga, Mattel, National Geographic, YETi CGI, and BonusXP. I am passionate about mentorship and want to meet other people who are interested in learning and sharing knowledge about art, and generally living as a creative person.
What to expect
• The 3D Character Art Mentorship will run for 15 weeks, from May 21st - Aug 31st, 2017.
• We will begin with a portfolio review and discuss your art goals.
• Based on your goals and skill level, you will select a character design to build. Also, schedule milestones to help keep the project on a manageable timeline.
• I will give one-on-one feedback and suggestions via paint-overs, sculpt overs, a dedicated slack channel, and silly gifs. Depending on logistics, I may schedule some video meet-ups as well.
• I will work alongside mentees with my own character project and post my own WIPs and timelapses of the process.
• Professional insights into game development art pipeline and practices.
• This mentorship is focused on 3d character art for video games.
• This is mentorship is not about teaching software. If I can answer a question about ZBrush, Modo, etc, I will gladly help. However, there are already tons of free resources on the internet dedicated to software proficiency. I am not Google.
• I may not be able to respond to questions immediately. I will do my best to give timely feedback, but I do have work projects and there will be times when I'm not available.
• Though I'm offering this mentorship free of charge, there are a limited number of seats. I do ask that if you sign up, make it your goal to participate and do your best to complete your selected character model in the set timeframe.
How to apply
• Application is open until April 27th. Applications will be reviewed April 28th.
• Applicants should email me a short cover letter to introduce yourself. Who are you, and why are you interested in the mentorship? What's your favorite game? Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Include link to portfolio or art samples. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
• I will reveiw applications and let you know if it seems like a good fit + or if there is availabilty. Sadly, I cannot guarntee a spot to everyone who applies.
I hope to make some awesome game art with you guys this summer!
*Feel free to email me any questions.